lovely, deeply flavoured dry curry dish with a pleasant addition of Matar. This is one of the most delicious, and unsurprisingly a very popular Pakistani recipe.
|Occasion: Any||Total servings: 4-6|
|Effort: Average||Pre-Prep time:|
|Best for: All||Preperation time: 45 minutes|
|How to serve: Hot|
Ingredients for Keema Matar
- Vegetable oil: 4 table spoons
- Onions: 75g (3oz), peeled and finely chopped
- Garlic cloves: 6-7 medium sized, peeled and finely chopped
- Minced lamb: 750g (1 1/2 lb) (minced beef can be used as a substitute)
- fresh ginger: 2.5cm (1 inch) cube, peeled and grated to a pulp
- Hot green chilies: 1-2, minced (if possible, get these added to the lamb meat before its minced at the Butchers)
- Ground coriander: 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
- Water: 300 ml (10 fl oz)
- Garden peas: 175-200g (67oz)
- Fresh green coriander: 4-6 heaped tablespoons, chopped
- Salt : 1 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 1 1/2 tablespoons
Preparation for Keema Matar
- Put the oil in a wide medium sized pan and set over a medium/high heat.
- When hot, put in the onions.
- Stir and fry the onions until they are lightly browned.
- Add the garlic . Stir and fry for another minute.
- Now put in the minced meat, ginger , green chilies, coriander, cumin and cayenne. Stir and fry the meat for 5 minutes, breaking up lumps as you do so.
- Add 175ml (6 fl oz) of the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas, fresh coriander, salt, garam masala, lemon juice and the remaining 125ml (4 fl oz) water. Mix and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook on low heat another 10 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Taste seasonings and adjust the balance of the salt and lemon juice if you need to.
- Serve hot with naan or roti (chapatti)